Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get registered to Vote? https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote. State Instructions — TEXAS
Registration Deadline — 30 days before the election.
I.D. Number. You must provide your Texas driver’s license or Texas personal identification number to register to vote. If you do not have a Texas driver’s license or Texas personal identification card, then you will have to provide at least the last four digits of your social security number. If you have neither, please write “NONE” on the form. A unique identifying number will instead be assigned to you by your State.
Choice of Party. You do not have to register with a party if you want to participate in that party’s primary election, caucus, or convention.
Race or Ethnic Group. Leave blank.
Signature. To register in Texas you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the county in which the application for registration is made
- be at least 17 years and 10 months old (you must be 18 to vote)
- not be finally convicted of a felony, or if a convicted felon, you must have fully discharged your punishment, including any incarceration, parole, supervision, period of probation or be pardoned.
- have not been declared mentally incompetent by final judgment of a court of law
Office of the Secretary of State
P.O. Box 12060
Austin, TX 78711-2060